EXCEDE® (ceftiofur crystalline free acid) Sterile Suspension is indicated for the treatment of lower respiratory tract infections in horses caused by susceptible strains of Streptococcus equisubspecies zooepidemicus (S. zooepidemicus). S. zooepidemicus is the most common bacterial pathogen isolated from equine respiratory infections.1-3
First and Only Sustained-Release Antibiotic
- EXCEDE is the first and only antibiotic FDA-approved for horses that offers a full 10-day course of therapy in just two treatments.
- By providing 10 days of therapy in just two treatments, veterinarians can optimize compliance and convenience.
- Fewer administrations mean less potential for missed doses.
- Comparative treatments require 10 once or twice daily doses. Maintaining multiple treatments at consistent intervals can cause added stress for the horse as well as for those administering the medication. For a full course of therapy, your horse must receive the full dose at regular intervals as prescribed by a veterinarian.
Safe and Effective
- The use of EXCEDE provides veterinarians peace of mind, knowing they have selected a product that has been demonstrated to be both safe and effective in horses.
- EXCEDE is FDA-approved for use in horses and is available through veterinary prescription only.
Keep out of reach of children and pets
People with known hypersensitivity to penicillin or cephalosporins should avoid exposure to EXCEDE. EXCEDE is contraindicated in animals with known allergy to ceftiofur or to the β-lactam group (penicillins and cephalosporins) of antimicrobials. Do not use in horses intended for human consumption. The administration of antimicrobials in horses under conditions of stress may be associated with diarrhea, which may require appropriate veterinary therapy
Use of antibacterial drugs in the absence of a susceptible bacterial infection is unlikely to provide benefit to treated animals and may increase the risk of the development of drug-resistant bacteria. PRECAUTIONS The administration of antimicrobials to horses under conditions of stress may be associated with acute diarrhea that can be fatal. If acute diarrhea is observed, additional doses of EXCEDE should not be administered and appropriate therapy should be initiated.
Store at controlled room temperature 20° to 25°C (68° to 77°F). Shake well before using. Contents should be used within 12 weeks after the first dose is removed
Shake well before using. Administer two intramuscular injections to the horse, four days apart (96 hours), at a dose of 1.5 mL per 100 pounds of body weight (3.0 mg/lb. or 6.6 mg/kg). A maximum of 20 mL per injection site may be administered. In clinical studies, administration of less than 10 mL per injection site minimized injection site reactions. Therapeutic drug concentrations are maintained for six days after the second injection or a total of 10 days from the beginning of treatment against S. zooepidemicus. Vial contents should be used within 12 weeks after the first dose is removed.
- EXCEDE Sterile Suspension is available in 100-mL and 250-mL vials.
ceftiofur crystalline free acid) Sterile Suspension