After receiving your Thundershirt, we recommend following these simple steps:
Perform the Initial Fitting and Conditioning as described below.
When an anxiety trigger is likely or already present e.g. new pet in the house, slip the Thundershirt onto your cat. Observe the results. Many cats need no further treatment for many issues. Are you satisfied with the improvement you see? If not, please proceed to Step 3 below.
Not Required In Many Cases: If your cat's anxiety still needs additional treatment, we recommend integrating Thundershirt into a training program.
Go to www.thundershirt.com/cats/FAQ for additional information.
Initial Fitting And Conditioning
Thundershirt is designed to be very easy to put on and take off, no need for pulling anything over her head or threading her legs through leg holes. After you first receive your Thundershirt, we recommend the following steps while your cat is NOT in a stressfulsituation:
1. Before putting Thundershirt on your cat for the first time, offer a small food treat to your cat using the folded Thundershirt as a plate.
Like dogs, some cats become more comfortable and trusting of something that brings them food or anything that they associate with food.
After offering the food treat, try laying the Thundershirt gently over the cat's back WITHOUT attaching the straps. Allow the cat to remain still or to move away, even if the Thundershirt falls off.
2. With the first fitting, leave Thundershirt on for 5-10 minutes. Encourage your cat to move around by engaging in play. A favorite toy or a laser pointer can be very helpful. If your cat appears to be uncomfortable or does the Freeze & Flop see below, please repeat this step 3 to 4 times for 10 to 15 minutes each time.
The Freeze & Flop
When first wearing a Thundershirt, some cats will behave as if they are immobilized and may even fall over.
Don't worry! The Thundershirt is not causing discomfort they just need time to adjust to the new sensations. Cats are amazingly sensitive to touch and sometimes require a little more adjustment time in the beginning. But this also means that many are even more responsive than dogs to the gentle, calming pressure of a Thundershirt!
Please repeat the Initial Conditioning to address this issue or visit our FAQ at www.thundershirt.com/cats/FAQ.
- Place the Thundershirt on your cat's back with the Thundershirt logo facing up.
- Lightly wrap the Neck Straps around the front of the cat and secure with fasteners.
- Should be able to easily slide two fingers inside Neck Straps.
- Wrap the Long Flap under the torso and secure with fasteners onto the Short Flap.
- Make a comfortable, snug fit.
- Wrap the Top Flap down onto the Long Flap and secure with fasteners.
- Adjust to improve the snug fit and keep Thundershirt securely in place.
Wearing Thundershirt for Extended Periods of Time:
Thundershirt is designed to be safe to leave on for extended periods of time when appropriate for the situation or issue. When properly sized and properly put on with a comfortably snug fit, your cat should be very comfortable. Before leaving your cat unsupervised while wearing a Thundershirt for an extended period e.g. leaving your cat home alone, we strongly recommend waiting until you have gone through at least three extended periods with supervision. Please confirm that your cat is comfortable using the litter box and not prone to trying to slip her front leg inside the neck straps. Also never leave your cat outside alone in a Thundershirt if they are not completely comfortable we don't want to inhibit the flight response from possible danger. If your cat will be wearing a Thundershirt for more than two hours at a time, we recommend removing the Thundershirt every one to two hours during the initial periods to check for any signs of irritation points. Irritation points are very rare, but it is best to be cautious.